WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A HEAT MANAGEMENT DEVICE?
The goal of a heat management device (HMD) is to give you the flexibility to adapt the temperature and to be able to transfer the heat evenly into the bowl. Generally speaking, there’s at least two level of heat for adjustment : either it’s open (without the lid) or close (with the lid on). If you are adding more coals than the maximum capacity instead of using the lid, it cannot be called as a HMD anymore. Although, when it’s been using like that, the actual device might not be adapted to your needs.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFICES OF A HEAT MANAGEMENT DEVICE?
There is nothing wrong about the traditional method. If you are comfortable managing the coals directly on the foil, you don’t need to be bothered with this. But there are few advantages that might interest you.
- A HMD will give the opportunity to experienced a better longevity in terms of taste, because it will distribute the heat evenly at slower past.
- You won’t need to ash as much, because the heat source is coming from the device itself, and not directly from the coals. Usually, you want to remove the ashes when you need to raise the temperature.
- Your set of coals will last longer, because the device will absorb the heat and maintain it as much as it can.
- It will also act as a wind breaker if you’re smoking outside. It won’t blow away the coals and all the ashes.
- It will give you some leverages on handling the temperature to your liking when it possible, instead of moving all the coals.
- Since it’s thicker than foil, it creates a spacing that will reduce the harshness that you might experienced from direct heat.
WHAT ABOUT THE LOTUS 1+ FROM KALOUD?
From what I know, Kaloud was the first company to design a HMD. Since then, the lotus has become the standard in the hookah industry, and a lot of products is being influenced by it.
Surprisingly, the lotus 1+ is made of a competitive aluminum grade. There is nothing wrong about this. In fact, because it’s porous, it will benefit the user from transferring the heat slowly and effectively. It will give more time and the upper hand to react and adjust the heat consequently.
Inside the lotus 1+, there are some raised details that will help the coals from blacking out. The handle is quite dense, so it should not be too hot to manipulate. With the lid on, it will give the ability to the HMD to radiate more heat into the bowl without the need of adding more coals. Under the lotus 1+, there’s a circle of raised bumps that will conduct the heat further and pierce thru the top layer to properly warm up the whole bowl.
Ultimately, the quality of the session will improve. It will be smoother. You have more options once it comes to managing the heat. And it’s easy to use. The only disadvantage, it’s the cleaning part.
I personally recommend the Lotus 1+ from Kaloud if you’re looking for your first heat management device.
TIPS: Never preheat the lotus 1+ on the burner. It will melt. Be patient when it starts. You can put the lid on and blow in it to accelerate the heat process. Or you can use three coals at first, then remove the third one once it’s ready.
THANK YOU !
Please feel free to leave a comment below on what you’d like to see in this space or ask a question. If you need recommendations, you can ask directly to the team of Jinxhookah :).
Otherwise, I’ll be reachable on instagram for anything hookah related. Thank you !